Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Too early birthday preemie hat

My friend Nikki's son Henry Paul decided to make his appearance 14 weeks early. Now, I would supremely preferred if he could have held on for a few more weeks. But we're still glad to meet him, and his little head needs a hat even more than a full-term baby. Here's the Too Early Birthday hat pattern I followed for this hat, using Bunny hop yarn. (However, I used size 6 needles rather than the size 7 specified in the pattern since Henry is so very tiny.) The second picture is for scale with my husband's cell phone.


I really enjoyed knitting this hat for Henry because I feel so powerless to help him. I was glad to at least feel productive in making him something. When I have more time, I can see mass-producing hats like this for all those tiny infants in the NICUs who need any extra love they can receive.

No comments: