Tuesday, September 30, 2008

scarf & mitt

My very first ever official crocheted item was a light blue scarf in Red Heart's super saver yarn--all single crochet, with a fringe. Certainly not exciting. It was for my daughter, because, well, it had to have some purpose and I was growing bored this simple project and wanted to make is smaller, not longer. But my crochet world expanded rapidly after that and I became aware of the many other options available to me. Suddenly, it was not good enough!

So, in my ever-increasing list of projects I want to get done, I added "Scarf for Miss C" into it. And I let her choose a yarn. A light blue, of course. I hesitated for a while since it was a more of a chunky chenille style that intimidated me. I got it for 99 cents (well, $2.97--I indulged in three!) since it's discontinued (Patons Be Mine).


Then, she fell in love with Lion Brand's Wool-Ease in a white with a shimmery ribbon running through it. I really don't know why she's always shopping in the yarn department; I should make her stop! I only bought one of them since there was no grand 99 cent sale and I had no grand plans, either.


My mind worked around this over and over, contemplating what to do and finally I decided she'd get her scarf -- with both yarns run together. She scored a hand-warming mitt, too. I ran out of the white in the last 2 stitches, but that was just funny to me, since you can't tell. I also made the super thick scarf to short and wide and therefore, my one day project became two as I unravelled the entire thing and redid it a bit narrower, allowing for more length.


I created it myself, but it's certainly not a novel idea since I'm sure a thousand patterns follow this same stitching--2 double crochets in one stitch, skip a stitch, 2 dc in one st, etc...the rest of the rows use the space between the dc's as the spot for your 2 dc's.


The mitt is shorter and wider and stitched together to give it the roundness...that's it.


And Miss C kindly posed with her lollipop in her mouth, watching tv...



3 comments:

blue hose said...

Did you crochet the hand mitt in a round or in one long piece and then stitch it together? They look so cute on her - and would have come in handy in NY!

Laurel said...

very cute :)

~cjoy said...

Sorry about all the typos!

The mitt was done in one piece, then stitched together since I was just hoping I'd have enough yarn to make one! Doing it in the round might worth trying, too.