Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Getting ready for Christmas

If you want to make handmade things for the holidays, it is not too early to start preparing. If you started a stocking now, you should have plenty of time to finish one for December 25th. Here are the four I have knitted for our family.

Snowman Pattern
(I bought this as a kit from my local yarn store so I didn't have to pick out my own yarn. It is wool so it needs to be stored properly in the summertime. It would be so sad to find a moth hole come Christmastime.)

Cabin Pattern

This pattern was found in a book from my local library. It was my first stocking and is also the easiest pattern. The snowman and snowballs are not part of the stocking but were knit afterward separately and just sewed on. It also is the only stocking that was not knit in the round (either with double pointed needles or circular needles). But it was knit flat and the seam was sewed up the side. Easier for a beginner.

Snowman Pattern

I must confess that they do not hold heavy items well, so in our house Santa takes them off the mantle and puts them on the couch or somewhere nearby the mantle after he fills them. If I try to put heavy items in (like fruit), it sags way down. I do not think this is because of something I did wrong but just a limitation of a hand knit stocking. Oh well, nobody seems to mind on Christmas morning!

1 comment:

blue hose said...

Those are so cute! I have a friend whose great grandmother knitted one for each member of the family in a style very similar to the first one you did. I'm going to have to look for a crochet pattern for some. My knitting skills aren't that good just yet.